These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Variax Guitars / Bass / Workbench

USB Variax Interface is not recognized in Workbench. Blinking Red Light on the guitar side of the interface.....
by nhe7 on 2009-11-17 09:09:49

I am going to try again from the top. Thank you to all who have tried to help me.....PLEASE continue if you have any bright ideas. It would be nice if somebody from LINE 6 would address my problem. Here goes:

I have an old desktop: Dell Dimention 8250 with Windows XP-Home Edition. All usb ports are usb2 (enhanced). This computer is running Service pack 3. It has Intel (R) Pentium 4 CPU 2.4 GHz, 2.39 GHz Hard (most of it still unused), 512 MB of Ram. It also has an upgraded Creative Sound Blaster card with midi ports, aux rca inputs & spdif in & out.

I uninstalled all of the line 6 software & reinstalled it. I then upgraded everything in the Monkey. It gives me a choice of selecting the USB interface, my Guitarport or my Podxt. When I select USB interface it (workbench) says "no device detected". There is a blinking red light on the variax side of the USB interface.  One thing I have noticed is that the Guitarport & the Podxt both have ESN numbers & the Variax USB interface does not. Does this mean anything?

I have tried all of the USB ports (even with nothing plugged in to the others) & they all result in a blinking red light on the Variax in side.

I have a newer Laptop: Dell Inspiron (E1705)  9400 with XP Media Center 2002 & Service Pack 3. T2400 dual processors at 1.83 GHz, 988 MHz hard, 2.00 GB Ram. It too has enhanced USB2 ports. It also has an upgraded soundcard.

I am quite sure that both of the computers are 32 bit so the lack of a driver for 64 bit should not be the problem. I did everything to the laptop that I did to the desktop.

I JUST WANT TO BE ABLE TO TWEAK MY VARIAX ACOUSTIC 700 WITH THE WORKBENCH & USB INTERFACE I PAID GOOD MONEY FOR!!!!  IF LINE 6 CARES AT ALL, I ALSO OWN 2 GUITAR PORTS, A POD XT WITH A FLOORBOARD, WORKBENCH WITH USB INTERFACE, GEARBOX, RIFFTRACKER AND A VARIAX 700 ACOUSTIC. I THINK THAT SHOULD QUALIFY ME AS A GOOD CUSTOMER WHO SHOULD GET SOME HELP FROM LINE 6 TO RESOLVE THIS FRUSTRATING PROBLEM. HOW BOUT IT?????? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

LOVE

LEE

Re: USB Variax Interface is not recognized in Workbench. Blinking Red Light on the guitar side of the interface.....
by Leftzilla on 2009-11-19 13:44:57

Okay, first things first, deep breath.  Okay if the red light is on the guitar side of the interface the first thing you need to do (and you may have already done this) is make sure the guitar is powered on, meaning you are either on batteries or the XP interface.  If you are on batteries make sure you have a quarter inch plugged into activate the guitar.  If the guitar is not powered it will not be recognized.

As you say you are on XP so the Workbench should work.  However and I might be wrong even in Vista Monkey should recognize the guitar (if it is powered up)

RE: USB Variax Interface is not recognized in Workbench. Blinking Red Light on the guitar side of the interface.....
by AndyParedes on 2009-11-19 13:55:21

Please see your previous post for possible resolution:

http://line6.com/community/thread/22794

Please be sure to award Helpful and/or Correct points to community members who respond with helpful or correct answers, and close out the ticket as “answered” if your situation has been resolved.

RE: USB Variax Interface is not recognized in Workbench. Blinking Red Light on the guitar side of the interface.....
by AndyParedes on 2009-11-23 16:12:24

Hello,

It's been a couple of days since we've heard from you. We're going to assume your question has been answered and close this thread. If you still have questions please feel free to open a new question with us and we will answer your questions accordingly. Thanks!

Re: USB Variax Interface is not recognized in Workbench. Blinking Red Light on the guitar side of the interface.....
by mike-w on 2012-09-15 21:29:28

I had the same thing happen when I sent my VAx back to get my neck worked on because the strings kept dropping of the neck.  The loner I got from Long and McQuade wasn't seen by VAx Workbench, though Line 6 Monkey said everything was in order.  My USB Interface flashed red and I didn't get any indication of a problem when running through my X3L.

I read in a thread about uninstalling software and was pointed to this page: http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-1752">http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-1752">http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-1752

Mac users, go down about half way.  Mac instructions are hidden down there.

Unistalled, ran Monkey, reinstalled drivers for the X3L, and it worked.

My guess is that there was a driver jam-up, incompatibility, or corruption with the drivers on my computer, and unistalling and reinstalling put things in order.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.